Friday, December 10, 2010

Lucky 14

Well, week 13 is complete. Air Myles, with a real nice effort there. I thought I might have a chance. Sitting in a bar watching, I seemed to be doing well. My best finish of the year.

As I sit firmly in dead last for the season, I had to look back and remind myself that I did in fact win the season last year. Hmmm. Work is clearly driving me nuts, and I clearly don't have enough brain power left to make picks.

Anyway, do you want Season Tickets for The Packers next year?? Heh heh! Good luck!

No, seriously, check this out:



Yep. You could win a season's worth of Club Seats, which are indoors, which also means you could actually USE them. So, good luck with that, lottery gamblers!

Anyways, I have my 16 point pick in the jar once again. Along with VBS and Erin07, to be fair. We'll see if that leads to a victory.

I see Michael Wilbon is writing a column again. You probably know him from being a host on "Pardon The Interruption" with Korny Toneheiser. Or is it Tony Kornheiser?? Hard to keep track. Anyway, I like Wilbon, he's fine, but sometimes, these basketball people come out with an NFL opinion that just makes you say Huh???

Seriously, he states in his first article: "Peyton Manning is not the greatest QB to ever play... John Elway is."

Huh?? Whaaa??? Uhh, neither of those guys is even in the discussion. Sorry. My personal all-time QB List:

#1. Joe Montana. The greatest. Period. He worked a football field like the great masters worked in oils, or clay. Or like Robert Ludlum and James Michener worked a typewriter. 4 Super Bowls. 4 and 0. I still have the Sports Illustrated in my vault (okay, it's a box), it says "Joe Knows Super Bowls", it's a picture of Montana high fiving Guy McIntyre, one of his O-linemen.

Now there's really a gap, but I guess we need more on the list.

#2. Terry Bradshaw. In some ways, he suffers from Troy Aikman Syndrome, in that he played on deep good teams, and the winning might not have been all about him. But as a Cowboys fan, I never wanted to face Bradshaw. Never. He made plays when it mattered and he won big games.

#3. Troy Aikman. Loved the guy. He could make every throw, had a big arm, and was a great game manager. Was never a stats whore, and I think with the rise of Fantasy Football, he was never a great "fantasy" player, but he won big games, and came up big when it mattered.

#4. Steve Young. Really an amazing player. You never wanted to face him either. Played in Mighty Joe Montana's shadow, and the 49ers seemed awfully eager to begin the Steve Young Era. Which annoyed me for a few years, but in retrospect, he was really good, a dangerous player who could run and throw. Left Handed, hard to defend.

#5. Brett Favre. Yeah, his recent shenanigans have tarnished his legacy, to be sure. And this is from me, not a Favre hater. But really, in his prime, he was something else.

#6. Tom Brady. Was 17-0, and should have won that Super Bowl. If some idiot Giants player doesn't catch a miracle throw on the side of his helmet, Brady has authored the 18-0 season, has 4 Super Bowls, and goes to #2 on the list. If he wins the Super Bowl this year, he goes to number 2 on the list. We are watching history.

Honorable mentions: Ken Stabler, Jim Plunkett, Roger Staubach, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Kurt Warner. You never left the room when these guys were on offense.

Honorable mentions (playing right now): Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers. These guys are probably hall of famers, assuming their careers continue without serious injuries or other problems.

Anyway, Urban Meier retired again. Relax, he'll be back next week. Is this some Favrian thing sweeping the sports world, this continually retiring??

Bill Simmons intimated in a podcast this week that "The blood of the Cardinals 2010 season is all over Kurt Warner."

Really? No, not really. Warner actually knows what the word "retire" means. Their O-line wasn't very good, they were making no moves to improve it, he took some huge shots late in 2009, probably played with a concussion... And decided to hang it up. So be it. Let's remember, he had to basically blackmail the Cardinals to give him a contract after 08... So now he's gone, and it's all his fault that they stink on ice?? It's his fault The Great Matt Leinart couldn't play, or wasn't given a chance?? Ahhh, put me down for "No, not his fault."

Okay, from The Vault. For you young people, the Greatest QB Ever to lace 'em up and play. I give you Joe Montana:



Alright, good luck this week. The final 4 games. This. Is. it.

No comments: