Friday, January 9, 2009

Playoffs, Week 2

Okay, I went 4 and 2 for you last week (see previous post)...

And like Hermann Edwards says, "We Can BUILD ON This!!!!"

Yes we can!!!

Anyways, Game #1: Ravens at Titans
If anyone can out-physical Baltimore, it's the fundamentally sound Titans. And I don't think you're gonna outcoach Jeff Fischer, either. And, driving by The Stadium in Nashville after a game in December, a game that ended hours earlier, and seeing that they were still partying like rock stars in the parking lot, I HAVE to believe that fans are going to really be into it. Joe Flacco, rookie QB, in a VERY hostile environment... Ahh, no.
Cadillac Pick: Titans, minus the short 3. Although this could be low scoring, won by a late field goal.
The over under on this is 34. Which is crazy low, but this could be low scoring. I'd leave that alone. Unless there's some turnovers & cheap scores, this could go under... Here me now, and believe me later.

Game #2: Cardinals at Panthers
You didn't believe my pick of Arizona... I tried to tell you, they're tough at home. Did you listen?? Naaah. Matt Ryan, nice QB, has a bright future, but going against Warner, at home, a veteran who has won a Super Bowl?? No, you wouldn't listen.

Well, the bubble probably bursts this weekend. Now, I will say, there's a lotta talk about "Who is this year's giants?" You know, a team with no shot, on the road, that keeps winning. If there is such a team, it's the Cards. Sadly, there is no such team this year.

That being said, Carolina is laying a big ten points in this one.... That's a lotta lumber.

Cadillac Pick: Arizona Plus the Ten. I see Carolina winning the game, and Arizona covering the number.
Also, I love the Over 48.5. Arizona could rack up a lotta points playing catch-up late in a game that's already decided...

Game #3: Eagles at Giants
I think the Eagles will remember that they stink. McNabb will remember to choke, and possibly vomit at the line of scrimmage... again. The well rested Giants cruise in this spot. Plus, the Eagles need to crush their Philly Fans hearts completely by choking bad, just when it looks like there may be some hope. They barely moved the ball last week against Minnysoda. How are they gonna move the ball in Giants Stadium???
Cadillac Pick: Giants, laying the short 4. I know, you're befuddled. I'm hitching my wagon to the fraud known as Eli Manning? Yes I am. Just for a week. I might be real sorry later, but I'm doing it.
I also kinda like the Over 40 in this one...

Game #4: Chargers at Steelers
Forgive me, but I am totally stumped as to why the networks thought this was the #1 matchup of the weekend. All I can come up with is that the Steelers do have a national following, like the Packers or Cowboys. The game of the week is clearly Ravens at Titans. That's your AFC Championship game, right there. But, whatever. I'm still waiting for that call from the NFL, to be a high priced consultant.... I wonder what's taking so long???? (leans over, checks his phone for dial tone...)

The problem in this game is pretty straightforward. Big Ben has a concussion. This is his third of his career. Not counting his little motorcycle crash. Yeah. Ummm, that's not good. Plus, the Steelers have not pass protected all year. The Cowboys had this team BEATEN a month ago, and let 'em off the hook (thanks Dennis Green).

And San Diego last week beat a better Colts Team, and we all got to see the Peyton Manning "I have a lemon in my mouth" face, AND (my personal favorite) his "I'm sitting on the bench with my head in my hands because our defense is blowing it" pose... I looove that. Some leader. Yeah. And Tim Tebow has no future in the NFL. Or so I'm told.... Wake me up when some of this starts to make sense, okay???

Veering off the rails into things that make no sense, let's touch on this: Mike Shanahan, "coach for life" of the Denver Broncos (beware of that owner's endorsement, beware!) just got canned. Hermann Edwards still has a job.

Shanahan: 2 Super Bowl Rings (one at our expense, rotten bas***d..), 224-138 in Denver.
Edwards: 2 career playoff wins, 2-22 in his last 24 at KC.... Obviously, he feels he can build on this!!

If someone can explain that to me, feel free...

But anyways, it actually looked like Norv might have coached the team last week. They seemed to have a plan. And their punter!!! Good God, if you're gonna play field position in crappy Heinz Field, you may as well have a dude who will repeatedly bury the other team at the 3 yard line....
Cadillac Pick: San Diego Plus the 6 points. One of my little rules for playoff betting is as follows: Rule 24.4.5 clearly states that to take a road dog in the playoffs, you must feel they can actually win the game straight up. So, the Arizona pick is a clear violation. And this one might be too. I do think they can win. (or at least, I hope the can win, but I really see a cover here. If Pittsburgh wins, it's by a field goal, max.)
I do love the Over 38 in this one too.

There you go. I'm 4-2 right now... I'm doing what Jim Cramer purports to do, only better...

BTW, was anyone else as shocked as I was to see Matt Millen on Football NIght in America???

My first thought is, how many Valiums do you have to give Olbermann to keep him from snickering in the backround???

More to the point, when he starts breaking down games (For example he LOVED Atlanta, which, I confess, made me feel very smug and good about my pick), I, uhhh, I just can't help but think "Dude, you just painted your masterpiece with the Detroit Lions. You were the Architect and General Contractor for an 0-16 Season!!! Perfection!!! Uhhh, remind me again why your opinion means ANYTHING to me????"

Hey, enjoy the playoffs. The football is coming to an end. Before we know it, it's 30 weeks of nuthin. Ugh. I'm going to soak in it, like a luxurious warm bath.... Ahhhh! Foootballllll.... (sigh..)

No comments: