Thursday, October 29, 2009

Week Eight Preview

Well, my spotter has the range to target, I'm ready to fire another 14-pack of picks....

/sarcasm mode on
I'm told that there is a game of some importance this weekend.... I heard some people are interested in the Vikings coming to Green Bay... I can't imagine why...

/sarcasm mode off

Yeah. I'm being asked "What do you think?!?!?!", people are talking...

Here's awhat I think. I think we just beat the Lions, and the Cleveland Browns. Probably two of the four worst teams in the NFL. I guess you'd have to personally decide where to rank the Raiders and Rams in there.

So, as much as I'd like to be impressed, I'm not.

And after this Vikings game, we have the Tampa Bay Bucs, another team that maybe needs to be thrown into the mix... make it the worst 5.

Actually, I'm sort of wrong.. according to a White Owl Power Ranking system, here are your bottom feeders:

24 Cleveland Browns = 11.43 24
25 Detroit Lions = 10.48 25
26 Tennessee Titans = 9.90 26
27 Kansas City Chiefs = 9.33 27
28 Carolina Panthers = 7.40 28
29 Oakland Raiders = 7.22 29
30 Washington Redskins = 6.65 30
31 Tampa Bay Buccaneers = 4.11 31
32 St. Louis Rams = 2.47 32

The schedule we have played is the 6th easiest in the NFL, according to the power rankings to this point in the season. Vs teams in the Top half (top 16), we are 0-2. The Vikings are currently 7th in the power rankings.

To be brutally honest, I see us losing to the Vikings, and beating Tampa, and arriving at the half-way marker with a respectable 5-3 record.

Respectable, that is, if you haven't watched the games... But from a desk in Bristol, on paper, it probably looks pretty good.

2nd half of the season isn't going to be so easy. Dallas, Chicago, Pittsburgh, San Fran, and Arizona are the highlights.

I have no ill will to Mr. Favre. He won us a Super Bowl. Clearly, Ted and Mike were impatient to move on without him. Has Favre acted like a jerk since he left? Sure, at times. Absolutely. Did The Great Ted Thompson cover himself with glory in the whole affair?? Nope. Has Ted ever come out and said "Gee, I wish we coulda found a way to keep Brett here." Ahh, no. Never.

So, what's the problem?? Dude is gone, and management, from all outward signs, is pleased with that development. Team President Mark Murphy offered gushing tonguing slimy obsequious praise and congrats to Uncle Tedly last July, at the shareholders meeting, for how "courageously" he handled "last year's difficult challenges." Uh huh.

(And for the record, when I think of courageous, I think of special forces guys in Somalia ordering their chopper down, jumping out, and engaging the enemy while outnumbered 300 to 1.... I don't really think of Ted Thompson.)

There's your owner and your GM, Packer fans. Brett is gone, and it's high fives and pats on the back all around the board room. If you wanna hate on Brett Favre, go ahead....

Either way, this is a huge divisional game. If we are what Ted keeps saying we are, we need to win this game, and get back in the divisional race.

Sadly, what we ARE, is the youngest team in the NFL, 4th year running, tens of millions under the cap. What we are is capable of beating bad teams, but painfully overmatched by good teams.

No comments: